I did not appliqué it. After doing lots of research on the elements of
"standards" in period, I designed my standard in PowerPoint and then printed
it onto a transparency. I used an overhead projector with the silk taped to
the wall. I traced my design using a fabric marker, and then stretched the
silk out on a very long frame I made. (The frame took up most of the length
of the living room and dining room.) I then used a gutta (as a resist) to
draw all the lines. Once the gutta was dry, I painted (dyed) the color in.
I am happy with the design, but not happy with my execution.
The silk I
used had lots of slubs, and the resist didn't always penetrate the slubs, so
sometimes the dye would run into the wrong area. I also didn't quite have
it blown up enough, so it is really only about 15 ft long.
I am going to make another one in September, but with the right type
silk. The silk I originally used was a gift from a friend. There are a
couple of poor pictures of the standard on my Double Wars 01 page.
http://www.greydragon.org/images/DoubleWars01/index.htm. The standard is
the tallest one, on the far right of the first picture. I will take a
better picture of the standard, and put it up. "